Do you miss running and would like to find some other moms to run with? So did another mom: Brooklyn parent, Susan McBarnet, had a baby girl nine months ago and found herself ready to get back into her running, but lacking a team and group of women to do so with. She founded a brand new group, Brooklyn Babes Running, to help fill that gap for women who were looking for a supportive, non-competitive group of moms who run as a team and train for 10Ks or 1/2 marathons.
They have a professional running coach, Jim Saint-Amour and Susan is the assistant coach (nationally certified), having completed the New York, London, Rome and Dublin marathons with her personal best of 3:49 in New York. The group meets every Saturday AM at Pier 6 where they run in the new Brooklyn Bridge Park and they meet up informally to run during the week as well.
The first group of moms is currently training for the Rock ‘n Roll 10K in Prospect Park on October 13. They have another session starting up in September and maybe an October group if there’s enough interest.
Fall 10K (6 mile) Session:
- Dates: Saturdays, September 22nd – November 24th
- In-person, coached team workouts Saturdays @8:15 AM
- Daily training calendar telling you what to do on days the team doesn’t meet
- Team runs in Brooklyn Bridge Park
- You’ll train for a 10K, the only local race available is a 5-miler so you get a bit of a break on race day!
- Run the Join the Voices! 5 miler on Sunday, December 2nd in Central Park (optional)
- Price: $300 for the session (race registration & fees are participant’s responsibility)
Late Fall ½ Marathon (13.1 miles) Session:
- If there’s enough interest they will offer a 12 week, 1/2 Marathon training session
- Dates: Saturday AMs, late October – mid-January
- Run the Manhattan 1/2 marathon in mid-January (exact race date TBD)
- Email us @ email@example.com if you’re interested!