Gingerbread is a term used for a spiced molasses confection that ranges from a soft cake to a crisp, flat cookie. Sometimes it’s light, sometimes dark. Sometimes it’s sweet, sometimes spicy. It’s always delicious and is most fun when made into gingerbread men or their candy-covered, usually Victorian-inspired homes.
Making gingerbread men is pretty straight forward: buy a cookie cutter, cut dough, bake, decorate. Gingerbread houses, on the other hand, are a bit more involved. It’s easiest to buy a kit but, if you want to make your own, you can keep it simple by using a downloadable template or make your own from plan-to-finish.
However you go—store bought, homemade or something in between—here’s a roundup of resources to help you make a fab gingerbread house for your Christmas holiday!
Gingerbread Dough & Royal Icing Recipes
* Low-fat gingerbread perfect for making men or a house
* How to Make a Gingerbread House, complete with dough and royal icing recipes, on Simply Recipes
* Gingerbread House recipe, complete with royal icing, from the Food Network
* How to Make a Gingerbread House, complete with dough and royal icing recipes, from King Arthur Flour
* Gingerbread House recipe, complete with royal icing, from Bon Appetit
Gingerbread House Patterns
* All but the low-fat recipe above come with templates for traditional looking gingerbread houses; the ones from Simply Recipes and King Arthur Flour are my favorites
* This is a great list of free, downloadable gingerbread house patterns with a traditional look
* For the last couple of years, the brilliant minds behind Hometta, a company that brings a modern and eco point-of-view to the stock housing market, have created a free, downloadable gingerbread house plan for a modern gingerbread house. Beautiful!
* No list of patterns would be complete without Martha’s sweet, simple Swedish Gingerbread House
* Wilton, makers of baking supplies, offer a Pre-Baked Gingerbread House Kit (also available in other sizes)
* Williams-Sonoma’s Winter Wonderland Gingerbread House Kit
* At Sur La Table you can choose between a Gingerbread Manor or Chalet
* This Dancing Deer gingerbread house comes assembled, but without any colorful candy decoration—they leave that last bit of detail fun for you and kiddo.
* If all you want to do is unwrap, this Gingerbread House from Red Envelope is what you need. Done and done.
* These image search results for Gingerbread House Plan has some great inspiration
* Or if you want to go modern, check out these image results for modern gingerbread house
* This how-to (sans template) for making a mid-century modern gingerbread house is pretty cool, too
* If this Cake Study House from last year doesn’t inspire some creative thought, I don’t know what will!
* A short video How to Make a Gingerbread House with Kids
Kids change the way we cook, but they don’t have to change how well we eat. Read more of Stacie’s family-friendly recipes and tips at One Hungry Mama.