We went to a May fest and one of the things we learned besides “choose one of the top ribbons on the pole or you get twisted up”, was “how to make a bubble blower.” It’s better than any of those bubble machines you can buy and it costs next to nothing. This homemade toy is great for babies (you can blow for them), toddlers (our 20 month old could blow the bubbles herself) and our kindergartner (he loved making bubble “wigs” and “beards” with it).
What you need:
- Dish soap
- Flexi Straw
- Rubber bands- small
- Plastic cup
- Spray bottle filled with water
- hole punch
- Felt (cut a 3″ x 3″ square of it)
How to make it:
- Take your plastic cup and make a hole in it close to the lip of the cup.
- Cut a flexi straw in half. Cut it at an angle like you cut flower stems.
- Cover your cup with the felt.
- Put 2 rubber bands around the felt, securing it to cover the cup.
- Insert your straw in the cup hole you punched out.
- Pour dish soap on the top of the felt- moving it all around to coat the felt evenly.
- With your spray bottle of water, squirt the top of the felt with a good amount of water (you don’t need it dripping, just wet).
- Then rub the top of the felt to get the water and soap all soapy and mixed together.
- Blow through the straw and have fun!!!
(We save our bubble makers in a cupboard and just reapply soap and water when we want to make bubbles).