Joyce Szuflita, is our School Expert, and always has the scoop on what’s going on with schools.
Joyce Szuflita, of NYC School Help is our School Expert and always has the scoop on what’s going on with schools. Joyce sent me a massive list of updates on schools, timelines and deadlines! She also breaks any school news on her blog here so make sure you check it out.
Private School News
KinderHaus is planning on offering a Kindergarten program based on NYS DOE learning standards starting Sept. 2012 for children ages 5-6 years old. Bilingual English & German
If you are interested in signing up for this program, notify them by 11/20/11. Contact KinderHaus at email@example.com
World Class Learning Academy in the East Village. Starting Nov. 1 they are launching a 2yr program. For information on all of this: Sarah Bottoms firstname.lastname@example.org 212-600-2019
Claremont Prep Renamed Leman Manhattan Preparatory School with an interesting new international focus.
Freebrook Academy a new K-12 Independent School coming to Bed-Stuy in fall of 2011.
It is still early for many schools. Monitor the schools’ websites and call the parent coordinators later this month to see if tours are scheduled, but they don’t really begin in earnest until closer to the end of the year and into Jan/Feb and March.
- PS 9 Once a month on Friday at 9 AM. Dates are 11/18, 12/16, 1/20, 2/10, 3/16, 4/20 Gifted and Talented TBA. To Sign up: email Parent Coordinator, Charmaine Derrell-Jacob at email@example.com
- PS 11 Fri. 12/2 @ 9am
- PS 46 Dual Language Spanish Program Open House, 11/16 9am, more Dec. through Feb. TBA 100 Clermont Ave.
- PS 133 Friday 12/16 @ 9am. no need to RSVP but if you want info call Mr. Dickerson 347-563-5321
- PS 34 Wed @ 9:15 AM. Dates are 12/7, 1/4, 2/1, 3/7, 4/4, 5/2. Parent Coordinator: Eileen Cavaliere PC phone: (347) 563-5350, 131 Norman Ave.
- PS 84 Tour: Thurs 11/10 @ 9am, 250 Berry St.
- PS 110 Tours on the first Mon. of every month
- PS 10 1 tour per month October-May (May has 2 dates); all are on Friday starting promptly at 9 a.m. Tours run approximately 1.5 hours. Sign up @ PS 10’s website For more information: Madeline Seide, Parent Coordinator, (718) 965-1190, ext 2132 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- PS 29 will conduct a one-day only Open House for all prospective parents on Friday, January 20, 2012 at 9:00 AM. Parent Coordinator, Emily Freund, at email@example.com School phone. 718-330-9277
- PS 32 contact Erica Steinberg, Assistant Principal at 718-330-9295. She will have a staff member contact you to schedule an individual tour of our school.
- P.S. 107 Tues. 1/10, Tues. 2/7, Tues. 2/28 @ 9am
- P.S. 146 (The Brooklyn New School) Open House, 12/15 @ 9 am, 1/10 @ 9 am, 2/14 @ 9 am, 3/7 @ 6pm
- PS 154 monthly, call (718 768 0057 x2) or email Parent Coordinator Diana Plunkett for the next available date Diana Plunkett firstname.lastname@example.org
- PS 261 Wed, 1/4 9am, Wed, 1/4 6pm. No need to register. Reserved Tours will begin in mid-January 2012. Please check back then for more information.
- PS 295 Open house 1/10, 2/7, @ 9am
- P.S 321 Open house Thurs, 1/12 , Tues, 2/7 @ 9am
- P.S 372 (The Children’s School) Open House Tues, 2/8, Tues 3/1 from 6 – 8 pm
- 12/16 Deadline to return MS Choice Application
- 1/21-2/12 Mark Twain MS Talent Testing
- Jan-Feb Student interviews and testing at selected Middle Schools
- May 2012 Decision letters distributed to families
- June 2012 Appeal decision letters distributed to families
- MS Directories (you can get them at the fairs, from your school or online here)
New Middle Schools
BUGS Brooklyn Urban Garden School is a new charter middle school that has just been approved and will be housed in District 15. The school has been developed by a number of talented local parent/educators with a progressive, inquiry based, exploratory, science focused model. It has not been decided yet whether it will be opened in 2012 or 2013. A Charter middle school is a “school based application school”. You don’t rank it on your district application. Charter schools give priority to siblings and to families who live within the district where the charter school is housed (in this case D15) but in the first few years of any school it is not uncommon for them to take students from a much wider locale. There is no down side to registering for an interesting charter no matter where it is located. They will undoubtedly be doing info sessions this season as soon as the dust settles (they just got word that the school was approved). I would get on their mailing list if I were you.
International School of Brooklyn is opening an Independent Middle School in Sept. 2012 with an IB curriculum and bilingual Spanish/English and French/English program as well as an English program with an emphasis on language learning. info session begin in Nov.
They are trying to gather information from potential applicants. Help them out by filling in this survey.
I would sign up for the DOE’s email alerts to keep posted on the calendar.
2011-2012 High School Dates
Dec. 2 High School applications due to counselors
In 2012 all public high school students will be notified of their placements on the same day in February!