You are pregnant and you walk into a baby store for the first time. The first display you see are all those adorable newborn clothes. Then all the cute infant shoes, then all the bottles, breast pump accessories, pacifiers, babyproofing items, toys, monitors……It is overwhelming! The question is: what do you REALLY need to buy or have for your new baby.
Here is my list (that baby stores don’t want you to see)
What to get for a baby until they are 6 months old
- For drooling/burping- 12 cloth diapers
- For Feeding- 3 bottles (maybe a few different kinds), 1 bottle basket for dishwasher or 1 bottle drier for handwashing/boiling
- For medical bag- hair comb, nail clippers, rectal thermometer, nasal aspirator (suggest Nosefrida), medicine dropper
- For Bath- 2 hooded towels, 3 thin but soft washcloths, 1 baby bath tub or sling
- For clothing- 7 onesies, 4 side-tie or side-snap shirts (kimono style), 2 sleeper sacks (people love the Miracle blanket), 2 caps for newborn (these are usually given to you for free at the hospital), 7 pairs of socks, 1 outdoor UV protected hat (if you will be in the sun), 3 muslin type swaddle blankets
- For changing- European face ovals or squares for wiping instead of diaper wipes,1 changing pad with soft cover, changing table or dresser at correct height for changing (yes, really- it totally saves your back), Purell handwash, Small bowl with water for wiping clean when can’t use diaper wipes for sensitive newborn skin, q-tips for cleaning belly button until umbilical cord comes out
- For crib- 2 mattress pads, 2 crib sheets, 1 mesh bumper pad, 2 waterproof piddle pads, a couple of different brands of pacifiers
****You do NOT need to buy a stroller right away. Instead, invest in a good infant car seat (that will only last you for a year or so) and a car seat carrier. You will have tons of time to gather information on a big stroller later.
*****You do not need to buy a baby carrier right away either. Try some out at a babywearing class first when you have your baby. Plus babywearing classes are a fun way to meet other parents. Your baby may not take to one kind or another, so wait before spending any money . You can check out our carrier reviews here and the best carrier sites here.